Frequently Asked Questions
Our classes are interactive, live, and dynamic. Our goal is to assist your student in learning the material, asking questions, hearing additional ideas, and mastering the subject. (for SELF-PACED rented videos & costs, click "SELF-PACED COURSES")
- Departments: Science, Mathematics, Language - Literature - Government:
- Course Fee: $588 per course/per student (click HERE for discounts for multiple students or classes).
- Registration fee: $50.00 (not refundable)
- Early Bird Discount March 9-April 30: $588+$50=$638-10% = $574.20 (Total)
- Required Materials: after you register, you'll receive a syllabus with a list of required materials. Most you will purchase separately from Apologia.com
- Department: Christian Worldview Electives
- Course Fee: $328.00 per course/per student (click HERE for discounts for multiple students or classes).
- Registration fee: $50.00 (not refundable)
- Early Bird Discount March 9-April 30: $328+$50=$378-10% = $340.20 (Total)
- Required Materials: (see individual classes HERE)
- Don't forget to use a discount PROMO code during checkout. RETURN
Yes! From March through July, we offer an optional payment plan.
- There are no additional fees for choosing a payment plan.
- However, all courses must be paid in full by the 2nd week of classes.
- Payment plans are not offered after August 1st.
- Once classes begin (the last week of August) you must pay in full if registering for the first time.
- Prior to August, choose "Pay over time" at checkout ($50 - this is deducted from your total due).
- Registration ends September 7-15 unless otherwise stated by specific classes (some may differ)
- HOW TO CHOOSE PAYMENTS:
- Click "Pay over time" option at checkout - Pay $50 class or student at checkout.
- Payments (for registrations prior to August 1st) are automatically debited *monthly in equal amounts through September 15 of the current year (on registration anniversary).
- You may request a different payment plan by emailing email@example.com
- * If you register 3 weeks or less before classes begin, payments are debited weekly (depending on class and account balance). RETURN
Yes! - CLICK HERE
(discounts cannot be combined with other discounts) RETURN
- LIVE Personal and professional instruction by qualified teachers in the sciences (masters, bachelor, and doctorate degrees); Christian theologians and apologists in the Bible, Apologetics, and Worldview Department. In all LIVE classes, students communicate via the live chat box. If they wish to use their microphone for a question or discussion, they can ask the teacher for permission. All attendees can hear the student speak (teachers have control of all mics). Most teachers can be seen on their live webcam. Students cannot be seen.
- Weekly 60-90-minute classes and a total of 32 sessions (16 per semester) in most Departments (30 sessions /15 per semester in some Departments - see teacher for specifics). Math Department meets twice a week, 45 minutes each. Teachers prepare lectures to assist students with what they have studied during the week. Time is available during class for discussion and questions. Students are expected to interact in class by asking questions and making comments when prompted. Weekly classes are not meant to be a substitute for homework and class preparation. If students do not ask a lot of questions, classes may be shortened. Class duration is an estimate, not a standard.
- Student portal and study site 24/7. Each registered student receives an invitation in August and creates a unique username and password for access to their very own web page that includes all notes, syllabus, assignments, tests, quizzes, audio & video clips, discussions, and other extras.
- Professional Grading: Most assignments, tests, quizzes, papers, etc. are graded by the teacher and posted on the student portal. Parental involvement, although minimal in most cases, is very important. Parents are still needed to check on completed assignments, assist with labs, and if necessary observe quiz & test taking. (Your legal, authorized, legal educational institution - your homeschool - keeps all records, grades, and other items necessary for transcripts, and other required documents for being accepted by other schools, colleges, and universities. Apologia Online Academy does not create transcripts.)
- Textbooks/Required Materials: These are separated costs depending on the class and are not a part of any enrollment costs. Many families have their own materials and/or pass textbooks down from one child to the next.
- Class Recordings: Full access to previously recorded classes and our professional virtual classroom. If your student is absent for a class, he/she can always watch the recording 24/7. (The AdobeConnect® web conferencing network we use gives you full access to notes, slides, pictures, web pages, audio and video clips, chat features, and our whiteboard where teachers write class notes on a real (virtual) whiteboard. So if you miss a class, nothing is lost by missing the LIVE session.) RETURN
5. WHAT GRADE LEVEL IS EACH CLASS AND CAN ELEMENTARY GRADES TAKE LIVE CLASSES?
- Please see specific classes for age suggestion (Science age suggestions listed below). In general, Apologia Online Academy is for Jr. High (Middle School) through High School. Adults are also welcome to take classes.
- Apologia Online Academy does not have classes for elementary grades. (exception: Our What We Believe classes can be taken by 6 grade and above students)
- General grade suggestions our Science curriculum targets and recommended by most institutions in the USA: (click for Course Sequencing chart)
- General Science: 7th
- Physical Science: 8th (prerequisite: 7th grade math)
- Biology: 9th
- Marine Biology (Biology prerequisite)
- Health & Nutrition: 9-12th grades (prerequisites: High School Biology concurrent or taken already)
- Chemistry: 10th (prerequisite: Algebra 1)
- Advanced Biology: The Human Body (prerequisite: Biology & Chemistry)
- Physics: 11th (prerequisite: Algebra 1, Geometry, basic Trigonometry functions)
- Advanced Chemistry (prerequisite: Chemistry & Algebra 2)
- Advanced Physics (prerequisite: Physics & Pre-calculus) RETURN
- Apologia Online Academy is certified and authorized by Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc. as a college-prep, excellence-in-education assistance program for your homeschool family. We have no need to seek accreditation due to the fact the YOU, the Homeschool Institution, are the legal, recognized, authorized educational institution. There are multiple state and private accrediting agencies with varying standards and not regulated by any governing body. Since each individual homeschool is the authorized and legal educational institution, accreditation is unnecessary. Note: Many public high schools are NOT accredited and no college or university ever questions transcripts from the government schools. We offer our classes to independent homeschools as a resource for the parents. Although your student will receive grades from their academy instructor, you are responsible for issuing the appropriate credit(s) and preparing their official transcript. Please read the HSLDA FAQs found here regarding accreditation. Please read the HSLDA FAQ's found here regarding accreditation. RETURN
7. ARE YOUR COURSES CONSIDERED "AP"
- The issue with AP courses is that in order to call them an AP course on a transcript, the instruction HAS to come from a certified AP teacher and be more rigorous than the average course. Because our courses are designed for homeschoolers, even though they may contain AP-level work, the student cannot honestly place these courses on their transcript as AP courses if they have only had home instruction.
However, the majority of students after taking our advanced courses (science), would sign up at their local high school for the AP exam without a problem. If they do that and score well, they can call the respective course Honors Biology (Chemistry or Physics) and then place an asterisk next to the title. On the bottom of the transcript can be a short statement, saying “*AP test score:__”.
Unfortunately, these restrictions are because of the College Board’s desire to reign in the misuse of students calling any rigorous class an AP course (with no plan to take the accompanying AP exam), thus overfilling their transcripts with excessively padded courses.
Our advanced courses are definitely college level in their content, and if a student would like to take an AP exam we recommend they also go through an AP prep book in their respective subject while taking the advanced course. That way, they are more aware of the types of questions that will be asked and have access to a few practice AP tests, too. RETURN
- Dropping a class before August 1st: full refund (see Terms & Conditions link). ($50 registration fee is non-refundable)
- Dropping a class August 1st to the day before classes begin: Total paid -20% ($50 registration fee is non-refundable)
- After classes begin, first 2 weeks only: Total paid -30% ($50 registration fee is non-refundable)
- After the 2nd week of classes there are no refunds.
- Drop fees are imposed because:
- Teachers have already been paid for your student(s), administration activities and other labors have been performed in great detail, classes have been prepared including your Student Portal, assignments, teacher prep, notes, lessons, test creation, and many other duties performed for you and your student(s) beginning in August. These fees are carefully thought out and designed to be fair to both customer and company.
- The bank and registration company charge us $15-$30 per transaction, per student.
- For Refunds contact Assistance@ApologiaOnlineAcademy.com
- (Self-Paced/Recorded Only/Not-Graded courses have no refunds available). RETURN
If you are unable to attend a LIVE class but want teacher interaction & professional grading, you may choose this option. Students have full access just like LIVE students and must turn in their work on time. Recordings are usually ready to view immediately after the live class. What may delay this? 1. A failed recording, 2. A teacher with back-to-back classes - he or she may not be able to post the new recording until later that day, 3. Waiting for a better recording: if a teacher has identical classes, she may use the recording from a later class, even from the next day. RETURN
You may purchase (rent) for a full 12 months either individual class sessions, or the entire year. CLICK HERE for more. There are no refunds when purchasing RECORDED ONLY classes. If you would like to see samples, please CLICK HERE. RETURN
Any instructor who is ill or cannot teach a particular session will do one of two things:
- Have all students watch a recorded class and report completion before the next class.
- A substitute will fill in live for the teacher. In the unlikely event that neither one or two is possible, the class will be made up at a later date convenient to all. You will always have 32 full sessions in the Science Department, and 30 in the Bible/Apologetics/Worldview Department. RETURN
Laboratory experiments are performed at home per textbook instructions and are reported to the teacher. Our online classes (Jr. High through High School) assign significant importance to teaching students how to write effective formal lab reports. A large part of the yearly grade is determined by the lab reports. Some teachers may show video clips of the labs, perform them live during an online live class, etc., but will always answer questions students may have about the labs they completed prior to the live online class.
- HOW ARE THE LABS GRADED:
- EXAMPLE: For the Advanced Biology course with Mrs. Fowler, all of the experiments/labs in the text are expected to be completed by the student at home. These are thoroughly discussed in class beforehand, so the student fully understands the assignments, and videos are provided for the dissections. A lab report is to be written for each lab and kept in a notebook for general grading; a minimum of one formal lab report per semester is submitted to the instructor for item-by-item grading. All tests are graded by the instructor as well. RETURN
13. do we have to do real dissections? why can't we just watch them online, virtually?
Why Perform Dissections at Home with Apologia Online Academy?
From Loisann Fowler, Apologia Online Academy Instructor: There is an amazing awareness of God’s power of creation as we observe the various parts of living organisms. As you identify that the heart is made of tough and muscular material and how it is centrally located to the body versus the softer kidneys or the other organs and their placement, you begin to ask yourself, “How did these cells ‘know’ to form this as they divided? How do heart cells know to be heart cells and how do liver cells know to be liver cells? What is driving this complexity?” This experience drives us to a better understanding of the power of our Creator.
There is rich detail beyond words when participating in a dissection, which cannot be experienced through watching a video. Is it messy? It can be. Does it take some forethought and preparation? Certainly, but less than many think. Among Academy students, we hear repeatedly, “The dissection was so cool! I didn’t think I’d like it, but it was my favorite part of this class!” Even the most reluctant express, “Though I didn’t necessarily enjoy it, I’m glad I did it.”
From Sherri Seligson, scientist and author of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology: [Live dissections] prepare us in many ways for adulthood. Watching a video of a dissection removes us from deep observation. We look at the images and may just think everything is “gross.” But when you are doing a dissection for yourself, you are more aware of what living beings look like on the inside. You are learning more than you realize. As a parent, I cannot tell you how many times it was helpful to me to know and understand what makes up our bodies. Through stitches, broken bones, other injuries and sicknesses, I have a greater understanding of how to care for my children and to be there for them as they are scared with blood running down their forehead or with swelling ankles.
Matt Barclay, Apologia Online Academy Instructor, Video Producer at Apologia: Instead of visiting Disneyland, the beach, or their favorite vacation destination, would we rather watch a video of someone else at that same location? Of course not. Why not? Because it’s not the same as being there. There’s a true value in experience. Listening to a recording of a symphony isn’t the same as sitting in the orchestra seats and feeling the resonance in your whole body. When asked about why he preferred stage acting to movies, Kevin Spacey answered “breath.” He went on to explain that on the stage, you share your very breath with the audience. There’s a real difference in being there.
Not going into science in college or later in life is not the point either. Although the student may change her mind, we don't 'dumb-down' other topics. As a seminarian, I didn't refuse to take Greek and Hebrew since I wasn't planning on being a linguist. In Bible College, it was required to take a missionary course on building structures. I knew I was not called to be a missionary and had no plans to build a church in a foreign land. Wow, was I wrong. Although I did not go to the mission field and build a building, and even though I fought the course all the way through, I used the knowledge over and over throughout my life. In High School, as much as I disliked History, I had to experience the entire discipline. Now I love History even though I didn't take it in College and did not go into a vocation using History (well, actually I did to some degree...). The discipline in doing real dissections will be used broadly in the future and in life. We believe they indeed are necessary for future college plans. This is how we see it and are aware others see it differently.
And, these are some of the reasons we expect Apologia Online Academy students to do the dissections in our sciences. RETURN
Any speed will do as long as it is NOT dial-up (is that still available?). Apologia Online Academy uses Adobe Connect Meetings for classes. Please go to the following site to test your connection and computer: ADOBE CONNECT MEETINGS TEST. RETURN
Log in to your account and begin registration (students are added to your account ONLY by registering them - you cannot add a student who is not registered). RETURN
16. email support vs. phone support
Great assistance with accuracy must have follow up and include a paper trail (for clarity) pertaining to your questions & support needs. Many large companies have started using email as the primary form of communication. Most questions are easily answered on the FAQS & FEES page. We are happy to answer all your questions. But we can answer almost 10 times the amount of questions via email. Read on:
- We can answer emails at a rate of 10 to 1 over calls. Crazy, right? Apologia Online Academy can serve the public much quicker via email, which takes an average of 3-5 minutes compared to phone calls at about 15-30 min each.
- If you are unable to find an answer, feel free to call Customer Service at 1-888-524-4724
- Summary: After perusing the FAQS & FEES page, please feel free to ask as many specific questions as you wish via Assistance@ApologiaOnlineAcademy.com RETURN
17. DOES APOLOGIA ONLINE ACADEMY TAKE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS?
Absolutely! We have many missionaries and military families registered.
NOTE: When registering, be aware that the system does NOT take non-USA States & Zip/Postal codes (option will be added later). US territories ARE accepted: AA,AE,AP,AS,DC,FM,GU,MH,MP,PR,PW,UM,VI.
IMPORTANT: When entering your address:
- Enter your real address.
- Enter "ME" for State and "04007" for Zip (04007 - like James Bond!!!)
Yes, it'll work just fine.
- SUPER-IMPORTANT: When checking out, you MUST use your REAL zip/postal code that is connected with your credit card. When prompted at check-out, please use the correct code regardless what you enterered for your address previously. RETURN
18. IN WHAT TIME ZONE ARE ALL CLASSES?
- ET (Eastern Time) which is the same as New York. Please click HERE to see what time it is now in the Academy time zone. Then convert your difference accordingly in order to choose the correct class times for your homeschool.