FAQ & Fees
Most questions are answered here. Feel free to email QUESTIONS@ApologiaOnlineAcademy.com if you cannot find an answer.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does it cost for LIVE/graded classes? (Teacher Graded: LIVE or RECORDED)
Our classes are interactive, live, and dynamic. Our goal is to assist your student in learning the material, asking questions, hearing additional ideas, and mastering the subject.
- Included Departments: Science, Mathematics, Language & Literature
- Course Fee: $542.00 per course/per student (click HERE for discounts for multiple students or classes).
- Registration Fee: $50.00 per student/per department.
- Included Departments: Christian Worldview & American Government
- Course Fee: $275.00 per course/per student (click HERE for discounts for multiple students or classes).
- Registration Fee: $50.00 per student/per department.
- For example: if John Doe enrolls in Chemistry and Christian Apologetics, the total fee is $100 ($50 for each department) + $542 + $275. If he enrolls for both chemistry and physics, the total fee is $50 + $542 + $542 (minus multi-class discount or pay in full today - see discounts).
2. Are payment plans available?
Yes! Choose "Deposit ($125)" at checkout
- Click "Deposit" option at checkout - Pay $125 or $75 per class or student at checkout (Science, Math, & Language/Lit courses = $125 deposit. Worldview & Govt courses = $75 deposit - these are NOT additional costs but are part of your tuition). Monthly payment amounts are up to you, but the entire bill must be paid by October 15 of the current year.
- Simply log in to your account and pay your desired amount anytime as often as you wish. Your balance will be shown immediately when you log in (do NOT log in to your students account - no financials are found there - make sure it is YOUR account, the Parents account).
- Your account must be PAID IN FULL by October 15 of the current year REGARDLESS of the date you registered.
3. Are discounts available for course fees & textbook purchases?
Yes! - CLICK HERE
(discounts cannot be combined with other discounts)
4. What am I paying for when I enroll in graded courses?
- LIVE Personal and professional instruction by qualified teachers in the sciences (masters, bachelor, and doctorate degrees); Christian theologians and apologists in the Bible, Apologetics, and Worldview Department. In all LIVE classes, students communicate via the live chat box. If they wish to use their microphone for a question or discussion, they can ask the teacher for permission. All attendees can hear the student speak (teachers have control of all mics). Most teachers can be seen on their live webcam. Students cannot be seen.
- Weekly 60-90-minute classes and a total of 32 sessions (16 per semester) in most Departments (30 sessions /15 per semester in some Departments - see teacher for specifics). Math Department meets twice a week, 45 minutes each. Teachers prepare lectures to assist students with what they have studied during the week. Time is available during class for discussion and questions. Students are expected to interact in class by asking questions and making comments when prompted. Weekly classes are not meant to be a substitute for homework and class preparation. If students do not ask a lot of questions, classes may be shortened. Class duration is an estimate, not a standard.
- Student portal and study site 24/7. Each student receives a unique username and password for access to their very own web page that includes all notes, syllabus, assignments, tests, quizzes, and other extras.
- Professional Grading: Most assignments, tests, quizzes, papers, etc. are graded by the teacher and posted on the student portal.
- Class Recordings: Full access to previously recorded classes and our professional virtual classroom. The AdobeConnect® web conferencing network gives you access to notes, slides, pictures, web pages, audio and video clips, chat features, and our whiteboard where teachers write class notes on a real (virtual) whiteboard.
5. is apologia online academy accredited?
- We are NOT the school - YOU are. Accreditation is unnecessary because you are the authorized & legal educational institution. Please read the HSLDA FAQ's found here regarding accreditation: https://www.hslda.org/highschool/faq.asp.
- There should be no acceptance problems with your local school (private or public) or college as long as you kept records and created your own transcripts. Bottom line: They MUST give credit because it was under the authority of the homeschool educational organization (YOUR homeschool). It is irrelevant who assisted in your home education. You do NOT need to be accredited nor do your co-ops or others who help with your home education. Your transcripts show that your child had Biology (for example) under the authority of your homeschool. Public schools don't list all the special speakers that came in from time to time to teach class x. Additionally, many public High Schools are NOT themselves accredited. But colleges recognize these public high school diplomas as if they were issued by accredited organizations.
- Apologia Academy is an excellent educational source for your homeschool, which is the legitimate, legal educational institution. We assist co-ops, private, and home schools with their education in the sciences, mathematics, Government, Bible, apologetics, and world view courses. We provide expert instruction while the student works at home.
- Your homeschool is the educational institution that supplies transcripts, grades (you can copy/save the grades provided by our teachers), proof of attendance, all record keeping, hours of time spent on various courses, etc. When you take Apologia Online Academy's live, online classes from our doctorate, master's, and B.S. degreed instructors, you receive grades based on your students work during the semesters. Grades are copied and printed by you, the authorized educational institution, and turned into transcripts, credits, etc. (whatever your homeschool determines it needs for any other institution including public schools).
- So "accreditation" for online schools like Apologia Online Academy who assist homeschool institutions is irrelevant. Any online school claiming "accreditation" is either replacing your homeschool and is acting as the official educational institution (counter-productive to the homeschool movement, but legitimate if that's what you want to do) or is trying to look more "official" when in truth is not technically necessary.
6. Are Refunds available if I need to withdraw a student?
- Dropping a class before the first day of class: forfeit the $50 registration fee plus 5% of total paid.
- Dropping a class during the first 5 weeks of class (Monday-Sunday): forfeit the $50 registration fee plus 20% per week of total paid (ex: during week #1(Mon-Sun) = 20%, during week #2 = 40%, during week #3 = 60%, during week #4 = 80%, beginning of week #5 and forward = no refund). These fees are imposed because teachers have already been paid for your student(s), administration activities and other labors have been performed in great detail, classes have been prepared including your Student Portal, assignments, teacher prep, notes, lessons, test creation, and many other duties performed for you and your student(s) beginning in August. These fees are carefully thought out and designed to be fair to both parties.
- (Recorded Only/Not-Graded courses have no refunds available).
7. What are "Recorded/Graded" classes?
If you are unable to attend a LIVE class, you may choose this option. Students have full access just like LIVE students and must turn in their work on time. Recordings are usually ready to view immediately after the live class. What may delay this? 1. A failed recording, 2. A teacher with back-to-back classes - he or she may not be able to post the new recording until later that day, 3. Waiting for a better recording: if a teacher has identical classes, she may use the recording from a later class, even from the next day.
8. What are "Recorded-Only" or "Recorded/Non-Graded" classes?
You may purchase (rent) for 12 full months any individual class session/module, or the entire year. CLICK HERE for more. There are no refunds when purchasing recorded only classes. If you would like to see samples, please CLICK HERE.
9. What if a teacher is unavailable for a live online class session?
Any instructor who is ill or cannot teach a particular session will do one of two things:
- Have all students watch a recorded class and report completion before the next class.
- A substitute will fill in live for the teacher. In the unlikely event that neither one or two is possible, the class will be made up at a later date convenient to all. You will always have 32 full sessions in the Science Department, and 30 in the Bible/Apologetics/Worldview Department.
10. Are lab experiments performed in the live online classes and recorded online classes?
Laboratory experiments are performed at home per textbook instructions and are reported to the teacher. Our online classes (Jr. High through High School) assign significant importance to teaching students how to write effective formal lab reports. A large part of the yearly grade is determined by the lab reports. Some teachers may show video clips of the labs, perform them live during an online live class, etc., but will always answer questions students may have about the labs they completed prior to the live online class.
- HOW ARE THE LABS GRADED:
- EXAMPLE: For the Advanced Biology course with Mrs. Fowler, all of the experiments/labs in the text are expected to be completed by the student at home. These are thoroughly discussed in class beforehand, so the student fully understands the assignments, and videos are provided for the dissections. A lab report is to be written for each lab and kept in a notebook for general grading; a minimum of one formal lab report per semester is submitted to the instructor for item-by-item grading. All tests are graded by the instructor as well.
11. What speed Internet do I need?
Any speed will do as long as it is NOT dial-up (is that still available?). Apologia Online Academy uses Adobe Connect Meetings for classes. Please go to the following site to test your connection and computer: ADOBE CONNECT MEETINGS TEST.
12. HOW DO I ADD AN ADDITIONAL STUDENT/CONTACT(s) TO MY ACCOUNT?
Please watch this short clip to help you with this process: CLICK ME!